Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oak Leaf & Reel Finished and A Really Good Cookie Recipe!

I was able to complete another project yesterday - this one had been "in progress" for about 2 years now.  I just needed to put the binding on it yesterday!

This is Oak Leaf & Reel from the Autumn Gatherings book by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings Quilt Shop and Carole Charles!  Loved this project - I bought a kit for this one and every single fabric was so yummy and perfect!

Here's a close up:


Here's the front cover of the book


Awhile back I also finished this project from the book:


This is Turkey Track - another kit I purchased!  Loved it!

If you have this book - be sure to try out the Green Bay Mac and Cheese recipe - it was a real winner with my husband and kids!

And speaking of recipes, I'm going to share my time tested Snickerdoodle Cookie recipe with you today.  I'm going to be making these cookies this evening for the upcoming baby shower that I'm helping with.  These cookies are so easy to make, yummy and freeze very well after they are made!

The Best Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
(If you have Butter Flavored Crisco - I've also used this instead of part shortening part butter and it works great - just use 1 cup Butter Flavored Crisco)
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Reserve the following to roll the cookies in:
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbls cinnamon

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix shortening and butter (or Butter Crisco), 1 cup sugar and eggs until fluffy.  In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt thoroughly and add to the shortening mixture. Form dough by taking a generous size tablespoon of dough and rolling in your hands.

Mix reserved sugar and cinnamon together and roll balls of cookie dough in it.  

Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart and bake just until the cookies are set - do not overcook, about 10 minutes.  Yields about 2 dozen cookies. 

Typically when I make this recipe - I double it and freeze half the cookies for the kids to grab for a snack later on or for my husband to pack in his lunch for work! 


I finished the baby quilt I've been working on last night also!  Binding is done - I'm going to toss it in the washing machine today and fluff it up a bit and it's all ready to be wrapped up for the my neighbors first grandbaby that should be arriving in about 7 weeks!  How exciting!


5 comments:

Susie said...

Good for you to be getting some quilts into the "finished" pile.
We had a cat named Snickerdoodle. He was a great cat.

Yankee Valley Stitcher said...

Very nice finish :) My mom just passed away 3 weeks ago.....Snickerdoodles were her favourite cookies to make and everyone loved them! I think I will go make a batch..have an awesome day :)

regan said...

Sweet quilts.....I just love the turkey tracks one! And thanks for the recipe.....I have everything on hand, so I think I should make those today! Yay!

Karen said...

Love those plaids!

Merilyn said...

Great to get some finishes! Love that turkey tracks quilt, the colours are so vibrant!

Related Posts with Thumbnails