Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just a few spool blocks!

I am really enjoying piecing these spool blocks.  To sit and hand piece in the evening with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea is sheer joy and such a stress reliever!!!  I have half of the first months set of blocks finished for January for our Spoolin' Around Club!

In this picture you see that all the fabrics are the same in the spool blocks, but as I continued to sew I discovered I prefer the way these turned out!

I like them scrappy style much more!  So here's what I've decided to do for this project.  Each month we can make 40 spool blocks out of the 5" x 20" pieces of fabric in the club. I am going to continue to make 10 of them that have all the same fabrics matching as in the first photo above.  The next 10 I am going to make scrappy style from that months selection of fabric. Then the remaining 20 - I am going to carry those pieces forward into other months and mix and match those fabrics also!

After I thought about this, I really think it will give the finished quilt a really different look!

Plus, I wanted to share with you - for those of you that have joined the club and are receiving the 5" x 20" fabric packs each month - you will have plenty of fabric left over to make a few more blocks - beyond what you will need for the finished quilt!  I'm thinking about using my scraps to make more of these little spoon blocks to make matching pillows or maybe a table runner and a few small quilts for Christmas gifts!  Now there's an idea!

Now, I need to get back to work for the day.  I have to finish piecing the February club blocks and also ------- I only have a few more blocks to finish for my Lonestar Log Cabin quilt!  I almost finished them yesterday but ran short on time!  I really need to get these two items completed soon - we have the Jo's Little Women Club projects that I want to begin working on as soon as the club patterns get here plus the big one ---the Paducah Quilt Show and Quilt Market in Salt Lake City is coming up really soon and I need some new goodies to introduce along with our book!

I'll be sewing the day away today and I hope you can enjoy your day as much as I am mine!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I like the scrappy spools the best. That is how I have made mine.
It's nice to take time out to do some hand work.

Sharon said...

These are darling...love the scrappy look you have going! My...how do you get it all done?

Elin said...

Thank you for this idea! I'm waiting for the first deliverance, look forward to it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails