Thursday, March 15, 2012

Getting Ready To Hand Quilt With A Feline

Yesterday afternoon I set out to pin baste this quilt top so that I can hand quilt it.  As you can see above - it's pin basted and ready to go and I started the quilting last night. But to get to this stage I had a visitor that wanted to help...... of course!

The coast is clear so far - I've almost got my backing fabric taped down and ready!

As you can see the "Boss" is sneaking in and trying to investigate what I'm doing!  See her up in the top of the photo?  Almost have my batting ready to go - this picture was just before she took a nose dive into the center and I had to start over!

Batting arrange, quilt top arranged but not pinned and she's claimed her territory!  You know, it's a good thing I really love Bella the Boss.  It's also a good thing she's a short hair cat and sheds very little -  otherwise I'd be putting my feline friend in a separate room when I'm attempting to work on hair attracting projects! I teased her away so that I could straighten the quilt back out and start pinning with a few catnip treats!

 A close up of pin basting the quilt in progress!

A "pieceful"moment starting to hand quilt last night. (Of course, Bella was on my lap during this whole process while I was quilting!)


16 comments:

Janet said...

Your quilt looks wonderful. Quilting it by hand will be fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is a beauty and kitty knows it!

Chris said...

Love this quilt! Will it be a pattern, or is it already a pattern? I have never seen it before anywhere, and would love to make one for myself!

Lynn said...

This is a very 'rich' looking quilt. I love it and can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Donna Keating said...

Your quilt is so beautiful that Bella the Beautiful Cat wanted her picture taken on it. She's certainly a "ham". Don't you just love kitty hijinks?

WoolenSails said...

That is so beautiful, love the wool appliqués you used. I can get one or two stitches, but cannot get the rocker motion with a thimble, so I do it the hard way, one stitch at a time;)

Debbie

Deb said...

Your quilt is so pretty and I have to chuckle because your cat is like my dog. I just took a picture of a quilt I finished and when my back was turned and before I could pick it up, he was laying on it! I think he feels that he's helping me in some way.

Kyle said...

Your quilt top looks wonderful. It's nice that Bella knows good work when she sees it and can enjoy it before it's technically done!

Betty Lou said...

EVery quilter needs a four legged friend to offer their quilting advice. I think Bella approves.

Leeanne said...

Lovely quilt, cat & the quilting rules are great! Have a fabulous time hand quilting.

Shirley said...

Fabulous quilt Tara. Enjoy the process. Hope your hands will not be too sore.

Karen said...

I like the applique blocks in the quilt. I might find myself laying on it too if I were there.

Merilyn said...

Yes! Cats are official 'quilt inspectors' LOL! And they take their job very seriously too.....
Your quilt top looks wonderful, your applique blocks are spectacular, this is going to be a beauty!!!!!

Gale, Ky quilter said...

Beautiful quilt. Do you use a hoop when you hand quilt?


galew417@comcast.net

Janet said...

That's a beautiful quilt. I love it when those first quilting stitches go in. Your quilt has had a good cat scan, Bella probably thinks you're making it for her.

Karen said...

WOW this is beautiful - and I sure hope it's a pattern coming our way. You just can't beat a helper can ya lol, where would we be without our 4 legged help :). The hand quilting will be wonderful.

Karen

Related Posts with Thumbnails