Thursday, January 19, 2012

In The Zone...

A lot of times when I'm piecing a quilt - I get "In The Zone" - no not the diet type of "zone" - really in that "zone" where nothing else matters, I'm just sewing along minding my own business and having a blast.  Now, I'm not sure about you, but when I scrap quilt I really go to town and get in the "zone".  I pay no attention to what fabric plays best with another nor do I get all "matchy, matchy".  This photo goes to show you how "in the zone" I was yesterday!


Do you see those blocks I've "tried" to circle above?  (ok - don't laugh at my rather childish attempt to circle the blocks using photoshop - I'm still in the learning stages in that program - my 14 year old son is still trying to teach good old Mom the basics!)

Those 3 blocks particularly that are going horizontally across your screen - notice that they all have the same middle "light" fabric going through them?  This was not intentional and was an accident!  If I wouldn't have been so deeply "in the zone" I would have never placed the blocks with the same fabrics in the same exact location of the block so closely together in this scrap quilt.  Oh well now - they are pieced together and that's the way they are staying - another incident in one of my quilts that will be left there to humble me a bit!  They still look good, but of course their location is near the top of the quilt at this point - right where they stand out!   Not going to let it bother me though - just wanted to point out how easily things like this happen and really - what does it matter - as long as we are having fun during the whole process of making a quilt! Right????

Here's my project I am working on today - I'll probably finish this top today.  This pattern can be found in the August 2011 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.  It's called Weaving The Rails and is designed by Kathie Holland of Inspired By Antiques Quilts Blog (which by the way - if you do not follow and read this blog - you are really missing out!!!)



Here's a picture of the quilt in the magazine!


And now to show you the finish of the Katie's String Star Quilt - but first, do you know how hard it is take a picture of a quilt top when a little fur ball just has to mess with you?


This is Bella again striking a pose for you.  She really should be a model - Don't you think?

Regardless, I gave up trying to be all fancy and getting this quilt top spread out nice and flat and un-wrinkled for you to see.  Every time I had it near perfect, she nose dived right into it!  So, I left it like it was after a quick fixing and tossing a treat in the cats direction and snapped a picture quickly!



Here is a corner picture for you so that you can see the border fabrics.


In other news, I'm still cleaning and re-organizing my new creative life.  For those of you that don't know - I spend my creative hours in my basement studio and office.  It can be rather dark and dreary down there sometimes, so I'm brightening things up a bit and reorganizing my stash.  I've torn out old shelves and installed new, gone through books and magazines and dug into rubbermaid totes that have long been forgotten about. Here's a photo of my newly cleaned and organized wool cubbie:


It's nearly finished and organized, just a few more pieces to sort through and I'm calling it done!

Also, I cleaned off one of my inspiration boards in my office and look at my two little munchkins:


Are they not cute?  This is my daughter Ashley when she was 3 1/2 years old - this is her soccer photo.  My son is on the right and he was 4 - nearly 5 in this baseball picture.  They truly are my inspiration and their little photo buttons will remain on my inspiration wall, but I've moved them from the office location to my studio so that I can look at them a little more each day! I miss them when they are gone all day at school.

Give your kids a hug today - they grow up so quickly - my little munchkins are now 13 and 14 and I cannot believe how quickly time has flown!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Love the quilt...and I think that only you (or me, if I did it) would notice the same fabric.
Beauitful kitty cat! Used to have a Samanatha that looked almost identical...AND WOW...look at your wool!!!!

Bertie said...

It looks fabulous! The light pieces are fine where they are. I am a beginner and matching fabrics is not my best point. Looking at yours, anything goes really:))

Susie said...

Love both of the tops. I have been wanting to make the logs since the magazine came out. Maybe I should move it up on my want to make list since I have tons of strips waiting for a project.

Donna said...

Your scrappy quilts are really nice. You should not give it a second thought about what you noted. With scrappy quilts and the hundreds of pieces it is the tones of the fabric, and the contrast that matters. Sign me Scrappy Happy

WoolenSails said...

I tend to put things upside down, lol.
I usually lay out the pieces and play with them, till the colors please me, just something that makes me like the look, then I sew them, no idea what color values they are, just know when I like it.

Love the string quilt, lots of prim fabrics against black, my favorite combination.

Debbie

Shirley said...

I know exactly what you are saying Tara. I am ready to sew the next row on my scrappy hexagon quilt and have noticed that all down one side in almost exactly the same place there is this one dark hexagon shade in about 5 places. I really should have picked up on that but if you really are putting them in as they are then that sometimes is going to happen. Changing it then
goes against what you intended in the first place. They will stay.
I love your scrap quilt even more now that I have come back to ogle it. The book is on order.

regan said...

Your quilt looks great....I would never have noticed those same fabrics, cuz the lighter ones near them take your focus! Don't worry....no one but you will ever see it!

And your scrappy stars quilt is gorgeous! Love that border fabric too!

Your little cat is adorable! And we have button pics of our kids in Little League, too! I love that they did those....it's a nice souvenir.

Heartsdesire said...

I've made that quilt, Tara. And yes, it can be hard, when you're in the zone, to keep the same fabrics in a block from being close together or touching. With this quilt, it really doesn't matter, as you're the only one that knows about it. Overall, your quilt looks fabulous. Even with your drawn circle, I couldn't tell what fabrics were where. I love this quilt pattern and am planning to make it again, but I'm going to try using my 1930s scraps.

Jill said...

You are moving with warp speed on this project. It is looking great!
Yes, they do grow up fast. I am still trying to get use to a empty and quiet house during the day. My youngest has been in school for three years now and I still have days where I do not know what to do without children in the house. I think that may never change.

Merilyn said...

What a nice neat sewing stash you have there, if only mine looked half as tidy!!! Love how your String Star quilt top turned out, it's really quite striking! I wouldn't worry too much about your little glitch in the Rails quilt, once its quilted and on the bed it won't be that noticeable!

Anonymous said...

I would never have noticed those blocks if you had not circled them!...sometimes we are our own worst critics!

The string Star is amazing!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails