Thursday, February 24, 2011

Date Night With My Sewing Machine

OK, it's really bad when you have to set up a "date night" with your sewing machine!  I'm not kidding - I've been so busy trying to get things ready for upcoming shows, packing orders and family stuff that yesterday I decided it was "Date Night With The Sewing Machine".


This is what I did!  I've been tinkering with this idea in my head on how to do a pineapple block - but not have to do paper piecing.  I'm not a big fan of paper piecing - it's a stretch when I use triangle paper even, it just drives me bonkers to have to tear off all those little bits of paper off!

Anyhow, I think the block turned out pretty well.  I want to sit and play around with this idea a little more. I used all pre-cut strips of fabric from our January fabric pack of the "Simply Strips Club". 

Back to work for me, I'm itching to get playing around with some of the newest Jo Morton fabrics - Toasty and Luminarias - what fun! But first I have to get a few things ready for our book signing event at 

10 comments:

Beckyjean said...

Simply beautiful. The pineapple block has to be my favorite block.

Becky

Merilyn said...

Mine too!!! and I do love it in scrappy mode!

Carol said...

I love the idea of not paper piecing...I get so confused and hate to tear off the paper. I'll be keeping an eye on what you come up with! YIPPEE!

Marsha B said...

I love the way you used the lights and darks in the block, it is great!

Cheryl said...

I agree. I avoid all paper aids until absolutely necessary. Curious how you did this pineapple without them.

Charlsey said...

I love your scrappy pineapple. So glad you had a productive date night!

antique quilter said...

I know someone who uses wash away stablizer to do paper piecing blocks...
there are pineapple rulers have you tried one of those.
I agree tearing off the paper is a pain
the block looks great!
have fun sewing away tonight!
Kathie

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love the pineapple block, and it has been around a lot longer than paper piecing has.

Me and My Stitches said...

Hi Tara - love your pineapple! Of course, I can't say that I hate paper piecing - but I only like it for something tiny - it does seem like a waste of time for bigger blocks. I have Pineapple Rule by Great American Quilt Factory by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan. It's been a long time since I used it, but if I remember right, it worked pretty slick.

Anonymous said...

I just quilted a pineapple block quilt...she had 5" squares. They seem alot of work to piece but end result is so nice. Keep going!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails