Friday, June 11, 2010

Charm Square Exchange - Wanna Join In?

I just have to do it - I've always wanted to - but never did!

So - I'm going to host a Charm Square Exchange.


And I have to admit - I don't like rules very much and just want to have fun with this.  So let's keep it simple, here's the details.

1. This charm square exchange is for 5" charm squares of good quality 100% cotton.  Any color, pretty much any style of fabric (please no baby fabrics, no flannel, no super neon brights, no furry stuff  etc.)  If you like the style of fabrics I show on my website - we'll get along just fine.  I like reproductions - but I really love a good scrappy look in my projects and generally do not stick with just reproductions - I just like fabric (sometimes I think I need a 12 step program to overcome this habit - LOL!)

 

2. There will be no set minimums or maximums.  We'll exchange as many charm squares as you'd like (I might regret that - OK - no more than 200 charms or so - OK?) You send me 10 - I'll send you 10 back etc....

3. Please no more than 4 identical charms.  I'm not planning on sending you any repeat fabrics in return (unless of course you decide to send me 200 or more charm squares - then I'm probably going to include a few doubles in there!)

4. This charm square exchange is just between you and I so there are no deadlines.  As soon as your charms come in, I'll do my best to mail you back the same amount the next day.  (I'm usually pretty good about shipping stuff out - but I do retail quilt shows so if you don't get them right back in a few days or if I'm not returning emails quickly - don't worry - I'm out hanging out as a vendor at another quilt show!) I'm sure at some point in the future we'll have to call it quits and I'll just post on my blog and website when it's over.

5. Please - ship as cheaply as you can - do not go through a big expense over this.  You pay the shipping to me and I'll pay for the shipping to send you some charms back - no need to include a self addressed, stamped envelope or anything! Just make sure your return address is legible on the envelope so I no where to send your goodies back to!

6.  I do not wash my fabric prior to working with it and do not expect you to have your fabric charms washed either!

7.  Now - here's the kicker - I really, really (pretty, please) want you to send me an "ugly" charm.  Don't laugh - there is a reason for my madness.  Simply include in your package a charm that you have labeled with the word "ugly" - just a simple little fabric label pinned to the charm is fine - or you can write really small on the back of the charm square "ugly" - please use a pencil or fabric pen if writing on the fabric and write as closely on one of the edges on the wrong side of the fabric as possible.  I've got some projects in the works and I need some "uglies"


OK see this beautiful Chrome Yellow charm square above?  I really do not think it's ugly - but I know a lot of people do not like Chrome yellow - the picture is just to show you an "ugly" in a lot of peoples minds!

8.  OK - I'm going to make one last request and then I'm done - I promise!  I would love to have a small signature block to work with from everyone!  Using a tone on tone, tan, white, shirting, marbled, tea stained, cream or whatever - just make it a light colored fabric charm square- write your signature and your city and state on the fabric.  Write small and center it on the fabric as best as you can with your name on the top and your city and state below. Write in a permanent fabric marker if you can - just something that will not wash out or bleed. I'll send you one of the same in return and you can use it in a future project, play darts with it or toss it in the scrap bin - it won't hurt my feelings - I promise!  :O} (and yes, these signature blocks are going to be used in a future project - probably a published pattern of some type so if you feel a little funny about having your name splashed on a block you can leave off your name and just write a little small message - but please do include a city and state!


That's about it - it's pretty simple and straight forward!  (geez, for someone who wanted this simple without a lot of rules - I sure did get a little windy there!)

Send charms to:

Sew Unique Creations
c/o Tara Darr - Charm Swap
3713 Flowermeadow St.
Joliet, IL 60431

And - for those of you coming to the NQA Show in Columbus, Ohio next week - bring me some charm squares!  I'll have a "special" basket hiding underneath my cutting counter for anyone that wants to dig through the basket and swap with me while I'm vending at the show!  Just tell me you want to swap charms and I'll hand you the basket to dig in!  I'll have extra "light" charms on hand for you to sign and write your city and state on also in case you forget to bring one or just want to use my fabric!  LOL  And I'll warn you now - I'll have my camera with me and if I'm not crazy busy in the booth cutting and folding fabric - I'm going to be snapping pictures! (I'll ask first of course!)  I have to have something to blog about!!!!

10 comments:

Darlene said...

Tara - I want to play with you! This sounds like fun. :-)

Jeanette said...

That sounds fun! Do you have a specific pattern in mind? I'm trying to figure out how many I would "need". :-)

Unknown said...

Honestly, I do not have one particular project in mind at all. I'm working on several different projects right now and will really start to work harder on them once I return from doing the Columbus, Ohio show next week. I do know that all of the projects will end up being smaller quilts! Thank you!

englishteacup said...

sorting my charm squares out today.they will be on there way next week. Have a great weekend Englishteacup(Lynne)

Deb said...

I'll have to see what I have. A great way to collect some fabrics.

Peggy said...

Sounds like fun Tara! I will start to work on mine tomorrow. Hopefully I won't send you any of your own fabric!!

Barb said...

How fun!
I'll bring mine to the show!
what a great idea!
see you thursday or friday

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Ok got it. Thanks Tara. Guess I missed it with all my celebrating going on. lolol time to cut some charm squares. What if I dont have ugly??? :-)

Unknown said...

Not a problem at all Sharon if you don't have an "ugly" - that parts just for fun too!

Sharon said...

Sounds like fun...I will get started cutting out some charms and get them in the mail!

Related Posts with Thumbnails